TikTok is one of the most popular apps, but it can also be one of the most confusing. There are so many layers to it. We’ve looked into some of the most frequent queries surrounding TikTok.
Of course there are more questions than just these 6, however these are ones often searched for or asked by those either considering signing up, or those already on the app. While the idea of TikTok is probably one of the most simple of all social platforms, it comes with a lot of confusion.
It’s more than just ‘sign up and swipe through videos’. Or, ‘record and post some content’. There are filters to consider, various effects, sounds that can only be used on certain types of accounts. Then there’s the gifting system, going live, finding content to watch and more. Where do you begin?
1. Creating an account
TikTok can be used on both desktop and also smartphones via an app. However, not all features are accessible on the desktop version. To record videos, watch lives and flick through content at ease, you’ll need the app version. However, it’s really easy to create an account.
To get started:
- Download TikTok to your smartphone.
- Open the app.
- Click Profile in the bottom right-hand corner.
- Choose how you want to sign up.
- Follow the instructions on screen.
2. For You Page
On TikTok each account has a For You Page. Everyone’s is different. This will be made up of video content TikTok feels best relates to you or the type of content you watch. TikTok has an algorithm that works out each user’s FYP. It takes into account who you follow, what you typically watch on the platform and who you interact with.
As a creator, it’s important to have your videos appear on someone’s FYP. The more people that see your work, the more that might interact. The idea is your content gets seen and this is one perfect way to achieve that. If you skip past a particular creator or video, you’ll be less likely to have that suggested in the future.
3. Creating your first video
When you have an idea of what you want to create, and you’ve watched enough TikTok videos to get an idea of how things work. Why not have a go? It doesn’t matter if your first video isn’t a viral sensation. It’s just about getting used to what works, and what doesn’t. There is no magic spell for TikTok. Something could work for one person and not another.
Here’s how to create a video:
- Click + at the bottom of your screen.
- Choose a video from your camera roll, or start recording directly in the app.
- Add sounds if you wish or voice-overs.
- Place effects and filters on your video if that suits.
- Explore all camera options.
- Upload your video.
You can record in the app and this will allow you to select sounds and filters first. Meaning you can essentially try before you commit to a certain track or effect. You can hit record and stop it at any time, adding more if you wish or leaving it as one clip. There are so many ways you can adapt your content, it really is a deep hole.
4. Discover and search
The Discover page on TikTok allows you to find new content. Some users will see the Friends Tab where the Discover page should be. The Friends Tab simply shows content from those you interact with and follow. However, the Discover page allows you to find new creators to watch and new trends to start following.
It’s a place where you can explore various hashtags, creators, trending content and sponsored videos. This might help you find new interests or make it easier to explore ones you already enjoy. You can search for anything you like. Videos will be displayed in order of popularity. You can scroll through them just like your FYP.
To find the Discover page:
- Click Discover at the bottom of the page.
- Using the search bar, enter specific content you want to find.
- Choose whether you want to search for an account, hashtag or video.
- Start exploring.
To search users, videos, sounds, LIVEs, and hashtags:
1. Tap the search icon in the top right of your screen.
2. Enter what you’re looking for in the search bar and tap Search. Be as specific as possible. For example, you can type the name of the content or the username of a creator.
3. The most relevant results will show in the Top tab.
4. Explore the other search tabs—Users, Videos, Sounds, LIVE, and Hashtags—for related content.
Please note: Above information was copied directly from TikTok.
5. How to grow your audience
Unfortunately unlike other questions, this one doesn’t have a clear answer. There are many ways you can grow your account, but not every way will work for every user. You will need to regularly try different things to see what works for you at that time. Remember too, even if it’s worked once, it doesn’t mean it will work every time.
Here are some suggestions:
- Get to know your audience through analytics, comments, engagement. Read what they have to say and reply.
- Collaborate with other creatives. Reach their audience too.
- Join in hashtags and challenges.
- Use trending music.
- Share your TikTok account to social media.
- Post regularly.
6. TikTok Now
TikTok Now is the platform’s version of BeReal. It allows you and your friends to capture your moment. It will prompt you to take a video using the front and back camera at the same time each day. The idea is, you’re the true, authentic version of yourself. You’re not able to use filters or heavily adapt anything.
There are restrictions on who can use this feature. You must be over 13 to participate, but the rules are different depending on where you are and what age bracket you fall into. There is an app for this feature which is a standalone app. The main features can be used alongside the TikTok app, and you can navigate between the two.