💿 Pre-saves are like pre-orders. However rather than pre-ordering a physical product like a CD or vinyl, you ‘pre-order’ a digital release on streaming services. When you pre-save an upcoming single or album, it will automatically be saved to your library come release day.
Pre-save campaigns are invaluable tools for independent musicians and labels as they guarantee streams, engagement and momentum before the release has even gone live.
❓ Want to know how to create a Pre-save campaign? Here is a step-by-step of how to build one on PUSH, all for free.
1. Before making a Pre-save campaign, your release must:
✅ Have been approved by your music distributor and sent to streaming stores.
⏰ Have a Sales Start Date in the future. Try and aim for a sales start date at least 4 weeks away to leave enough time to obtain your URLs and run the campaign.
2. Once your release has been approved by your music distributor, you can contact them to request your URLs for Spotify, Apple Music and Deezer. If using RouteNote, you can request your Pre-save URLs here.
❌ Unfortunately you cannot obtain URLs for your Pre-save campaign yourself as these aren’t made available publicly until release day.
3. Once you’ve got your URLs we can start building our Pre-save campaign. Log into PUSH.fm or create a new account, and then navigate to Create New Campaign and select Pre-save.
4. In the Upcoming Release Details page, you can enter your own custom metadata and tailored description. This gives your fans extra details about your upcoming release. Feel free to upload your own feature image, and choose your own URL ending. A recognisable URL increases click rate and helps fans know what you’re promoting before they’ve even opened your link.
5. Next, select the services that you want to offer Pre-saves on, along with the date and time your release goes live. If you haven’t set a time for it to go live with your music distributor, then it’ll automatically go live at 00:00 on release day. You can add extra platforms, for example your social media accounts or your website. This is done under the Add Links section of the process.
You can also choose to enable artist follow for Spotify and Deezer; whenever your fans Pre-save your release they’ll automatically follow you too.
When inputting URLs, you’ll need to use your Spotify album/release URL (not URI), and your Apple Music album URL.
PUSH currently offers Pre-saves on Spotify, Deezer and Apple Music.
6. Once you’re happy with how your Pre-save looks, give it a custom name (which will only be visible to you) and launch your campaign!
After launched, your Pre-save campaign will appear in your Product dashboard, along with an overview of visits, conversions and conversion rates.
👓 You can view more in depth statistics using the menu ‘⋮’ on the right.
7. Give your Pre-save campaign a little test to make sure it’s working. Once you’re happy and your Pre-save works, you’re done and you can start sharing your Pre-save campaign on your socials!
📣Sharing your campaign is key to start building momentum pre-release and guaranteeing engagement come release day.
All users, both free and our premium users get unlimited Pre-saves. This means you can create as many as you like ahead of your release date.
Another great feature that we offer through our Pre-saves is an automatic conversion on the day of your release. When your release goes live, your Pre-save will no longer be active. Typically, this would mean you have to then create yourself a Fan Link. However, with PUSH, you can have this done for you.
All you need to do is opt in when setting up your Pre-save. You’ll see a button asking if you want your link to be converted to a Fan Link on release day. Then when release day comes around and your fans are still clicking on your Pre-save link, they’ll be redirected to your new shiny Fan Link.
You can go back into your account at any point and edit this link. If you want different artwork, or you want to turn certain stores off and on, you can. It will be placed within your PUSH account, and you can view it as you would any other Smart Link.